#30DayMapChallenge

Back in 2019 I took part for some of the challenges of the #30DayMapChallenge as originally launched by @tjukanov. It was back for a second round in November 2020 and I thought I would compile a few of the maps that I made for the 2019 challenge that were applicable once again for the 2020 challenge, along with some new ones linked to the 2020 challenge. There were a series of prompts for each day which allowed participants to explore the myriad ways in which maps can provide insight into the techniques involved in making original maps with a variety of data visualisation tools and methods.

There are 30 days in the month, and therefore 30 opportunities to make maps - as a geographer at heart this is a key part of disseminating results across my work. The prompts for the November 2020 were as follows:


Naturally, I decided to take part again (very late on in the day) and as it was a bit late to add them on twitter for the original days I have compiled them in this post. It was not required to do all of the challenges - and I may have cheated slightly by combining multiple categories together but I think that the main part is having some fun my making maps! You can follow me on twitter here, and if there is a round three I might be more on it with the daily challenges! 

But here are all of the maps which I produced (both this year and last) during the challenge (and within my work), and some additional explanations related to the thought processes behind them.

Day 6: RED

Taking the theme of red both literally and figuratively - a map with shades of red showcasing the years in which nations joined the UN flagship programme on climate change 'Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation' more commonly known as REDD+. The idea was inspired by a research paper that I was working on about integrating antislavery intervention points with established conservation and development schemes. You can read a published version of that article here

Data for this map was sourced from the UN-REDD Programme 'Partner Countries' list and associated annual/semi-annual UN-REDD Programme Progress Reports which are accessible here.

Day 7 : GREEN 
What is more green than the forest? Here I produced a map of the Global Tree Cover Baseline Assessment from 2000 by Hansen et al. (2013) for Brazil, as part of the Global Forest Watch dataset. This is associated with a project that I am currently working on and thus it seemed like an interesting prospect to determine what the baseline tree cover for the country was before assessing how this has changed over the last 2 decades. The data are open access and were downloaded from Google Earth Engine (see data reference below), and the map was produced using QGIS Version 3.2.1. 

Hansen et al. (2013). High-Resolution Global Maps of 21st-Century Forest Cover Change. Science 342, 850–853. Data available online at: http://earthenginepartners.appspot.com/science-2013-global-forest

Day 13 : RASTER
A raster Ordinance Survey Map of the University of Nottingham University Park Campus (Nottingham UK) and the surrounding area. As a place that is normally so familiar it is one that I have not visited for a while now with the current pandemic so it was nice to explore this data and produce a map displaying a place I am very fond of. Hopefully I'll be able to get back there soon, but in the meantime I will continue to work from home and look at OS Maps of the area. 

Data downloaded November 2020 from OS Data Hub as a GeoTIFF Raster 1:10000 Scale Colour Raster of Tile SK, made open access via the Open Government Licence. Original data can be accessed here.  Map created using QGIS Version 3.2.1. 

Day 20: POPULATION 


Estimated populations of those subjected to modern slavery according to the 2016 Global Slavery Index, scaled for the proportion per country which are likely to be engaged in environmentally degrading activities based on the ILO 'Global Estimates of Modern Slavery' (2017). These environmentally degrading sectors account for between 15-30% of those subjected to modern slavery. Such environmentally degrading sectors include: fishing, forestry and agriculture (11%), and mining and quarrying (4%). Other sectors which may have an impact are manufacturing and construction (15%). 

This map was originally published in Jackson et al. (2020), and the updated version shown here is taken from Jackson (2020, PhD Thesis, University of Nottingham). 

Day 21 : WATER (also encompassing Day 2 : LINES and Day 3: POLYGONS)


Bangladesh is one the lowest lying countries in the world, and also one of the wettest lying in the Ganges delta system. It has a unique hydrological system which contains around 700 rivers, the Ganges-Brahmaputra which flows into the Bay of Bengal, and the important mangrove forest - the Sundarbans within its borders. Using openly available vector data from DIVA-GIS and Zhang et al. (2015; 2017) this map demonstrates the complexity of the water-system within Bangladesh, showing how vital the waterways are for Bangladesh's economy, society, environment and culture.

Day 23 : BOUNDARIES

Whilst working on a project back in 2019 I got thinking about Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZ) - the area of water controlled by coastal countries - and the complexity of maritime boundaries. Using data sourced from the Flanders Marine Institute, I decided to visualise this change. The EEZ's from 2009 were selected and the most recent EEZ notation from 2018 as there has been change over this period. Bangladesh recently resolved two EEZ access disputed with its neighbours Myanmar (in 2012) and India (in 2014). The change in maps from 2009-2018 captured the change which now enables Bangladesh's fishing fleet clear access into the Indian Ocean via the Bay of Bengal.

Day 30 : A MAP (also encompassing Day 16 : ISLAND(s))

This category had me a little stumped at first, and then I thought what is a map that I regularly look at and then the answer suddenly came to me! After all the whole point of this month long challenge is to have a bit of fun and spread a bit of joy. 

I'm not going to lie, purchasing a Nintendo Switch towards the beginning of lockdown in March/April this year in the UK really did help me get through. Therefore for the final day of the November 2020 #30DayMapChallenge I thought I would include the map of my island (sneaking in a second category once again!) from Animal Crossing: New Horizons. By all means it is still a work in progress - still - but it is both an island that I have been curating for several months, and is likely to have a unique layout amongst the millions of others which started with the original base island when they purchased the game. 

So here I leave you with a map that has brought me a little joy throughout this very strange year... Welcome to Paradise! 


 ------------------------------------------------------------------

It was great thinking about map production and taking part in a community-wide activity; the variety of data and the ways people creatively explained these data through mapping was really interesting. I would encourage people to get more engaged in challenges such as this.

You can follow me on twitter for further updates on my work and hopefully some more maps both next November and in the meantime at: @BethJackson1x


Comments